Around 152 million children worldwide working as child labourers, out of which India accounts for close to 7.3 per cent. (Source: TimesOf India – 2020). Before the COVID-19 pandemic, more than 100 million girls were expected to marry before their eighteenth birthday in the next decade. Now, up to 10 million more girls will be at risk of becoming child brides as a result of the pandemic. (Source: UNICEF). In India, at least 1.5 million girls under18 years of age get married, which makes it home to the largest number of child brides in the world. (Source:UNICEF)
Children, especially girls are vulnerable to dropping from school, trafficking, early marriage and pregnancies, and different forms of abuse and violence. Without adequate support system and access to enabling opportunities, these children face the risk of neglect and deprivation, which in the long term affects the society and the economy.
In these circumstances, there is a need to provide them with a meaningful, progressive and development-oriented childhood.
Located in Devanahalli, Bangalore Rural, MakkalaDhama is a multi-dimensional developmentcentrewith a capacity to house 450 girl children who are in need of care,protection and education.
MakkalaDhama, which was initiated in 2009 in a cow shed, expanded over the years, and is now a well-designed and well-equipped residential campus. The upgraded campus, that became operational in July 2022, started with150 girls who are living in a safe, nurturing and caring environment and opening a new chapter in their lives.
- Identification and enrollment of children through Sparsha's projects, referrals from CWC (Child Welfare Committee) and Childline 1098and other stakeholders.
- Improve health status by providing nutritious food, health care, age appropriate physical and mental development activities.
- Providing experiential and comprehensive learning activities at the campus.
- Career guidance, exposure trips, internship opportunities and support for higher education.
- Support for job placement and family integration
- A center of excellence which will be an 'Impact Tourism' model which is replicable, scalable and sustainable.
- Participation in state and national level competitions in areas of culture, sports, art, and science.
- Facilitate the access for children to get government and corporate internship and employment opportunities.
- Mentor the children to become socially responsible and develop their capabilities to address various social issues.
- Formation of Alumni Association for continuity, growth and sustainability.